Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cupcakes & Burgers & Haute Dogs... Oy Vey!!The Cup, names itself a gourmet cupcake shop, which is Nestled in the new Brookhaven shopping center amongst Costco and Noche.  First, the furniture choice was poor. The tables and chairs are too large for the space making it impossible to navigate. I purchased four cupcakes:  Red Velvet, Carrot Cake, Turtle Brownie and the Reeses Peanut Butter Brownie. I took a bite out of the Red Velvet to learn that they were refrigerated, meaning not made today. The dollop of frosting was cold, there was no classic flavor. It actually tasted like corn; too dense.  On to the carrot cake, which tasted like a carrot cake muffin.  They should be a gourmet muffin shop- less is more, especially in cupcakes. The other two were brownie consistency, but way too sweet and cold. Brownie, cold? So at a whopping $13, I threw them all in the trash.  No Bueno:( I've tried many a cupcake in the city and I have to go with Cami Cakes. They go a little crazy with the icing, but they are fresh, airy, and have a good distribution of flavors. There's a line out the door for a reason! 5Napkin Burger. 
Oh what can I say? I had high hopes. When I walked in I felt nostalgia for NYC. Kudos for that- Black and white diamond mason floors, white subway tile walls and diner booths. They have high prices. A regular burger is $15 not including tax or tip. Their hot dog is $14 respectively. I got neither, I just couldn't validate it. We are not in NYC. I'm sorry. So I got the wings. I asked for them spicy and was told they come one way. I requested crispy. (sorry, if it makes you feel better I eat meat and fish  rare) The chef ignored my request which I figured he would.  The bartender saw my disappointment and told a manager, who came over and took them away while I was eating them. The sauce tasted ketchup based. Yuk. So a new order came, crispy this time, but it didn't help. I also ordered the tator tots that are made in house in what they said is a pain-staking process. I didn't taste the pain or the love. It was a confused mashed potato ball. Prior to my food coming I did have a drink. I opted for beer since on their site they boast on their beer affiliations. Unfortunately, the staff wasn't trained in their beer, but 5Napkins ATL beer list isn't very exciting.  So I settled for a Bell's Oberon and chose the women's beer who was sitting next to me. My good deed of the day.  Staff was friendly as to be expected and management was present.   They also have a limited and I mean limited sushi menu. Maki at $13 and you can't even see them prepare it. The sushi just magically appears from the sushi gods in the back.   As far as 5Napkin is concerned, I will return when: someone is buying me dinner or lunch (which prices are $1 cheaper)  or when they get a hold of themselves and reprice the menu. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere. 

Last but not least, Haute Dogs. Many restaurants are adding hot dogs to their menu but Richard Blais is opening a spot named Haute Doggery in the Virginia Highlands. I wonder what's going in them and if these Haute items will also be a whopping $14 a pop. I have my dogs crossed! 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

THOUGHTS?